Sunday, April 28, 2002

A long time ago, a friend of me brought me to the realization that living in a completely patriarchal environment had made me, as a man, completely unaware and even worse, uncaring to the plight of women in my society. The fact that I probably live within the top 2% of the most privileged and educated people in my country (btw that’s middle class, in a country where 40% of the population lives below the poverty line*) made my indifference only contribute to their abuse.
I vowed then, to never take situations for face value, and not to allow myself to simply accept "cultural norms” without question. To open my eyes and actually see what’s around me, and not just pass by life as if I was a tourist in some foreign land. Simply voicing your opinions can make an incredible difference to the lives of individuals… and it is a few individuals who make the world. SPEAK UP.

Regarding women, Shaykh Abdullah Adhami said:
"The word ‘al-Shams’ (The Sun) is feminine, while ‘Qamar’ (Moon) is masculine.
The Sun burns itself to give light and life to everything around, while the Moon is ‘Muneer’… meaning it reflects the light.
Within itself it has no light; it radiates the brilliance of the sun.
So when we shine as Men, the implication is that we are reflecting
The glorious light of Women."



*The Poverty Line as defined by the United Nations is earning less then $2.00 a day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home